« Home | still must go go go » | errrrrr. » | i love you » | Lesson learnt today » | Bitter bit me last month. » | “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength i... » | Busy. » | Just so that you know i miss you » | The more I seek you - Kari Jobe » | REU Zoo Trip » 

Thursday, October 22, 2009 

We don't cry often enough.


Most would reckon this to be another emo post.

I hope it won't be.

I'm so happy to have the time today to devote myself to reading and resting at home. I love to read without time constraints. I love the wisdom I find in books (of course, not all books).

Something that strikes me today - We don't cry often enough.

I wonder if that was the start of love growing cold and people starting to distant theirselves from each other. Afterall, crying is something that everyone is capable of. I dare say it is the first way human beings express their emotions!

Yet for various reasons, we don't cry that often anymore.

It could be that we are too busy. And when we finally have time to ourselves, surely we won't desire to spend that precious bit of time crying over a touching film or sobbing over a sad novel, would we? We rather make ourselves happy.

But perhaps that is making us become slowly void of emotions... Actually it is not that we don't feel emotions, but we aren't sure how to express them. We aren't sure which way is the correct or appropriate way to express our feelings.

It is a rather sad thing if we have indeed degenerate to such a state. It is most pitiable!

Other times, we don't want to cry because we feel that it is not going to help solve matters anyway. And this world today indeed educate us this way. At times, we feel frustrated over our tears, angry that we are so weak. We don't want people to think that we are weak.

I admit that I am guilty of all these.
But I also admit that I am a cryer.
Crying does have a therapeutic effect for me, and I am also an advocate for crying.
I believe that shedding tears have the ability to comfort the person crying.
I believe that tears are a gift from God. And He indeed cherishes them. He sees our every tear.

My students have no problem with crying. Sometimes they even burst out crying for reasons that I don't understand myself. But I believe their tears were genuine. And most times, I allow them time to cry. And after they cry, they become ok.

Of course I have to be careful this does not turn out to be a psychological issue for them, but my point is this: If only we can feel freer to express our emotions through crying or other ways, I am sure that more warmth can be feel between people. Love wouldn't grow cold. We will then learn how to care for one another and cry with each other.

"Shared joy is double joy, and shared sorrow is half-sorrow."
Have you heard of this saying?

I cherish those around me who have shared both joy and sorrow with me. You know who you are. :)

I have always felt sorry for people afraid of feeling, of sentimentality, who are unable to weep with their whole heart. Because those who do not know how to weep do not know how to laugh either.
-- Golda Meir

"You number my wanderings;
Put my tears into Your bottle;
Are they not in Your book?"

(Psalms 56:8)

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm just a passer-by in this world
  • From Singapore
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates