« Home | Good Night! » | Can I see the face of God? » | Would you dance with me in the minefields? » | On Messed-up Days » | Beautiful hollow singing Love » | Hymn of Promise » | Only Your love is perfect » | Trying to be bigger than what I really am supposed... » | 厌烦 » | when life hits you suddenly » 

Monday, August 30, 2010 

interesting day

I woke up at 730 am today.

!!!

And that is the time I am supposed to report to school everyday! :O

I managed to make it to school around 8am. *Phew*

At least today was our monthly Outing Day... so my kids waited for me :P and I admitted to some of them that I woke up late. :X

But there is another highlight of today.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. It was pretty hilarious....

I was still feeling a little bad while my students and I rested to have a bite. Only one muslim student had persisted in fasting; the rest were enjoying their hotdog. After almost every student had gobbled down their hotdog bun (ikea's hotdog with mustard and chilli!), one thought came to my mind, "Are these halal?"

I verbalised my thoughts... and I saw some eyeballs became bigger.

"I'll go ask!"

I was thinking, "You'd better not.... maybe you don't want to know the truth... I don't want to!"

"No, not halal-certified, but those are chicken hotdogs."

Nevertheless, the looks on my malay students' faces changed. One kept repeating, "Not halal..." and covering up his mouth as though he needed to puke.

To be honest, the whole situation was quite hilarious. (I hope I won't get sued for this in multi-religious singapore.) I mean, they all broke their fast because of this "famous" yummy hotdogs (and I can tell that they were all satisfied with it), only to realise that they aren't halal after they had finished everything up.

I was trying to console them, "不知者无罪." I do feel bad...... but what can I do now? What should I do?

Actually I was gonna push all the blame to the Muslim girl who initiated that we eat there. Apparently she had eaten before, but I guess she didn't really bothered to find out before. So I conveniently just assumed that nothing was amiss.... until the thought of Swedish products being halal felt a little funny.

Really, I should have been more careful. And more caring to my students.

Lesson to learn today: Do not assume. And take up the responsibility of being other people's teacher.

IKEA sells hot dogs?...interesting (I feel like I havent explored IKEA enough...)
I've never heard of the word "halal" but it is a funny story.. the things a teacher in Singapore has to be aware of.

d

yeah... im sure you will have your own interesting stories too. we could write a book next time. lol

missing you

m

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm just a passer-by in this world
  • From Singapore
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates