« Home | new step forward » | Two incidents that left a huge impact on me lately » | bottled-up thoughts » | blessed day » | zipppppped » | Union - you and me » | the thoughts linger on.... » | Sometimes a light surprises (hymn 93) » | please pray for brother arthur (perth) » | we are safe in love » 

Saturday, April 10, 2010 

the heart of God and we are all weak

There is a place of quiet rest, near to the heart of God.
A place where sin cannot molest.......

I was shocked when they told me one of my good students molested a girl.

I don't know the details
but when his friend was telling me, he was pleading for him,

"Please ar, teacher. Please help him. Give him a chance lah.. His mother said want to send him to boys' home. Please lah, teacher, help him. Maybe this time, he did something wrong, after this, he will not.. please ar teacher, please help him..."

I was surprised at this boy's maturity, in the sense that he knew how to plead for his friend. How he knew his friend did something wrong. How he knew about giving people second chances. How he cared for a friend enough to plead in this manner.

My heart went weak. I really had high hopes for the boy. We were all hoping he can get into a better school and have a better future. I always thought he was a very sensible and responsible boy. I want to help him, but how?

Just one mistake can ruin everything. Why was he so impulsive? So foolish? I can do nothing much, except to shake my head and sigh in regret. We were trying so hard to groom him; why did he let us down?

And then I thought about how God is looking at each of us too. He tries so hard to groom us into His likeness. He tries so hard to motivate us to yield to the Holy Spirit. He puts in so much effort so that we may have a better future. But one mistake of ours can ruin us eternally. And when we made such a mistake, how does God feel? I think He is also shaking His head and sighing in regret. This is the heart of a teacher. The heart of a parent. The heart of God.

And then I also wondered how could a boy so well-behaved suddenly commit such an act? I believe most of us around him find him a very responsible boy. I cannot believe he would do such a thing. Was there a lot of pressure on him to be good? Or did he just suddenly snap and did something foolish that he also regret later?

This made me realised that everyone has his weakness. Even the most responsible, well-mannered boy in school. Even the most "holy" minister in church. And definitely me included.

We all have our weaknesses. And we all have our moments of weakness. If only we are more willing to share about them! Rather than covering them up for the fear that people might criticise us or mock at us, why not share about them with a genuine heart to teach and warn others not to follow in our footsteps?

There are times when we feel that we should not share because we fear that we might stumble others. How would people think if they know that I, one of the leaders in church, have made such a mistake? Would not they misunderstand, thinking that then it is alright for them to make mistakes as well? This concern is genuine, but I believe that as long as we do it with caution, educate patiently with wisdom from God, it can be done.

Let's not talk about church ministers or leaders. Let's talk about me. I am no minister or leader in church, but I am bringing friends to church. And in some ways, I am a leader to them. And I often feel very pressurised by the fact that I must only present my "holy" self to them. I cannot show my weakness for I might stumble them! Is that right?

I often try to imagine how church ministers or leaders might be feeling. The intense pressure to be good. The immense pressure not to show their weakness. But who do not have weakness? In fact, some believers really have the concept that church leaders have no weakness! While this is an ideal state, I really do not believe it to be true......

If only the boy was more willing to share about his weakness? If only more people in church are more willing to share about their weakness? Then people would not suddenly snap and go haywire. Then I wouldn't have to always imagine that I am the only weak one in church. For why do I always have these negative feelings as you have read on my blog?

There is a place of quiet rest, near to the heart of God.
A place where sin cannot molest, near to the heart of God.
O Jesus, blest Redeemer, sent from the heart of God,
Hold us who wait before Thee near to the heart of God.

While we should share about our own weakness, we must also remember that Jesus can help us triumph over our weaknesses. He was sent to die for our sins, and had given us the victory over sins, if only we allow Him to work in our lives.

About me

  • I'm just a passer-by in this world
  • From Singapore
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates