« Home | my roles » | Love, eternal » | breathe » | You do wonders » | the heart of God and we are all weak » | new step forward » | Two incidents that left a huge impact on me lately » | bottled-up thoughts » | blessed day » | zipppppped » 

Saturday, April 24, 2010 

Waiting for my name to be called


"The doctor will be here at ten. There are a lot of patients before you, so maybe you can come after 1130am."

The doctor will be here at ten? But the clinic opens at 9am!

He must have something cropped up at the last minute.... or did he oversleep? Well, perhaps he is too tired.. too busy..

While walking home, I started pondering over my thoughts about the doctor's late coming. I was rather surprised at how patient I was regarding his late coming. Didn't I think that he is wasting our time?

Why had I tried to come up with so many reasons to explain away the doctor's inappropriate behaviour? Why was I helping him and putting in good words for him?

Is it because of the fact that he is a doctor? Because we do tend to give doctors the respect, trusting them to be doing good all the time....

This made me wonder...

If I was so patient towards a doctor (whom, to us, represents someone respectable and trustable), and so willing to wait for him, how about my attitude towards the good God during times of waiting? How is it that my actions often reveal that I am too impatient with God whom I know is trustable and whom I know is good?

Our past experiences and the Bible have told us that we can trust in God and His goodness. Just as we know that there must be a good reason for the doctor's late coming, we also should know that there must be a reason for a seemingly delayed response from God. And if we can have the patience to wait for the doctor, we must also display the same patience towards our God. Surely God is even more worthy of our trust and our wait!

The LORD is good to those who wait for Him,
To the soul who seeks Him.
It is good that one should hope and wait quietly
For the salvation of the LORD. (Lamentations 3:25-26)

Truly my soul silently waits for God;
From Him comes my salvation. (Psalms 62:1)

And since I had an hour or two before my turn arrives, I thought I had better make good use of it to do some work. And I realised it is the same with our life on earth today. While we wait for God and time to reveal each chapter of our lives to us, we must still go about our daily business. We might not know what will happen tomorrow, but we can and must continue on with our work on earth, whether it is our secular work or working for God.

While we wait for our names to be called to enter into that door of eternity, may we be able to endure patiently, knowing that this is a God that we have utmost trust in. If I can trust that doctor and not murmur against him, surely I can trust God even more!

-----------
My apologies for rambling on and on.
The medicine is making me drowsy
but I would like to jot down some of these thoughts before I sleep.
I am also amazed at the grace of God,
that although I am having a very bad throat for the past few days
and had almost totally lost my voice today,
He still gave me the utterance whenever it is necessary.
I am glad to have the chance to counsel that couple of students yesterday,
and also the chance to get to know a truthseeker better.
I am even more amazed
that my brother actually came for our outdoor evangelical service just now
and that I had the voice to sing hymns next to him!
He really opens the mouth of man,
when it is necessary,
for His glory.

So the LORD said to him, “Who has made man’s mouth?
Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind?
Have not I, the LORD?
Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth
and teach you what you shall say.”
(Exodus 4:11-12)

Hope your voice is better today (:
To praise God, to pray, to preach.
Our voice is so important, I can't imagine what to do without it. Then again, it is possible, for all things are possible with God.

d

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm just a passer-by in this world
  • From Singapore
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates